My Puppy, Tonka Is:
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker

Pieces of Me

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Chick Lit

For some time now, I have been a huge fan of Chick Lit. No not, Chicklet's the chewing gum (would you believe that I couldn't find a link to a Chicklet's website??), but CHIC- LIT...as in Chic Literature. It's a "new" genre of books defined as:

Chick lit is a genre comprised of books that are mainly written by women for women. The books range from having main characters in their early 20's to their late 60's. There is usually a personal, light, and humorous tone to the books. Sometimes they are written in first-person narrative; other time they are written from multiple viewpoints. The plots usually consist of women experiencing usual life issues, such as love, marriage, dating, relationships, friendships, roommates, corporate environments, weight issues, addiction, and much more. (taken from "What is Chic Lit?" as defined on http://chicklitbooks.com/)

So, as a Single woman in her 30's you can see why I can relate to these books and love reading them!

One of my favorite Chick Lit author's is Jennifer Weiner (pronounced Why-ner not Weeee-ner) whom I actually met at a book signing last year! Hi JEN! Remember me? We connected over TIVO! Ms. Weiner has 3 books: Good In Bed, which is not what is sounds like. (I will never forget when my mother saw this book in my car and raised an eyebrow at me!) This book is in the works of being made into a tv show for HBO! Move over Carrie (Sex and The City)...here comes Cannie!

Speaking of Sex and the City (which I miss terribly and watch reruns of every chance that I can get) this new show is being compared to it: Jake In Progress I for one can't wait to see a show based on the same premise told from the male point of view. And I don't care what anyone says, John Stamos has still got it! Forget about Uncle Jesse and Blackie...Jake is here! :-) J.I.P also stars one of my favorite actresses, Julie Bowen of "ED" fame. She will have a recurring role...hopefully as a love interest for Jake.

SIDE NOTE: On the note of "ED", I didn't get into that show until the last 2 seasons. But luckily they are showing it from the beginning on TBS...wooohoo!!

OK, so back to Jennifer Weiner's Chick Lit books. Her second book, In Her Shoes, has already been made into a movie starring Toni Collette, Cameron Diaz and Shirley MacLaine. I listed Toni first before Cameron even though IMDB listed Cameron first and she is the bigger star. But Toni's role as Rose is the staring role . Granted, the book is told from all 3 people's point of view. But the main character is Rose. At least in my opinion. Plus she gained some weight to play the plus-sized role. This is the second time that she has done that, once before for an all time favorite movie of mine: Muriel's Wedding. The movie version of In Her Shoes also stars Mark Feuerstein of TV's Good Morning, Miami which I actually enjoyed for the first season. Of course once the guy got the girl and the other guy the other girl who didn't even want to begin with, the show went to hell in a handbasket. But I have always liked Mark Feuerstein and have been rooting for him to get a show that lasts. Not many people remember him in Conrad Bloom...but I do! And of course he was adorable in Caroline In The City.

But I digress...yet again! The topic at hand is Chic Lit, specifically Jennifer Weiner's books. Her third, and last book to date is Little Earthquakes. This is the book that I have an autographed copy of. I also have a picture of Ms. Weiner and myself from this signing:

This picture, along with my pix w/ Carnie Wilson, is one of my most prized photographs! I only wish that more of my favorite authors would have book signing in South Florida.

A LIST: Of some of my favorite Chic Lit Authors:

Jennifer Weiner

Sophie Kinsella

Jane Green

Marian Keyes

Melissa Senate

Anna Maxted

Sarah Mlynowski

One of my favorite things about Jennifer Weiner is that she BLOGS! In fact, her Blog was the very 1st one that I ever read! Not only did I read it and check it every day diligently, I went back and read her 3 years of archived blogs! She writes her blog like her books. So since she doesn't have a new book out and her movies/tv shows are coming out for a while....I can get a taste of Ms Weiner on an almost daily basis!

And that is the whole point of my blog entry for today! What a long way around to getting to that point? Guess I blog like I talk, eh?

TTFN!!

4 Comments:

  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Gia said…

    Wow. You look fabulous. How on earth have you lost weight so fast? It is taking me an eon to lose 20lbs

    I love chick-lit too - though I can't stand Shopaholic. She just gets on my nerves.

    Happy blogging!

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Deblyn98 said…

    Well Ms. G, I had Gastric Bypass surgery almost 3 months ago. And let me tell you, it is the best damn thing that I have ever done for myself.

    It was definitely not an easy decision to come to and it was not an easy thing to physically do. But the results have been soooo worth it! It is still at times hard and there is definitely a good amount of willpower that is being exercised, but the rewards out-weigh (pardon the pun) the negatives. As a matter of fact, I think that I wil post my next blog about the pros and cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery.

    It's not for everyone...but thank goodness it's for me!

    Can't wait to read your blog next.

    Keep on Bloggin'!

    PS...What did you think of Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella?

    PPS. THANKS for posting my very first comment!!! :-)

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger newwavegurly said…

    I LOVED "Good In Bed", and my Mom is actually the one who gave it to me to read!

    Sounds like you and I have a lot in common, though that doesn't surprise me too terribly much considering your friendship with my sister.

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Gia said…

    I haven't read Can you keep a secret. After Shopoholic I didn't read another Sophie Kinsella. I must try her out again!

    And congrats on the bypass. I have had two friends who have had the same procedure and it gave them their lives back!

    Cheers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home