My Puppy, Tonka Is:
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker

Pieces of Me

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Princess DIana

I went to see the Princess Diana exhibit at the Museum of Art in Downtown Ft. Lauderdale today. I went with my mother and a friend of hers from work. It was the prefect woman bonding event. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me take pictures in the exhibit. Nevertheless, it was truly a moving and breathtaking exhibit that I would encourage anyone to visit given the chance. On exhibit were items from her childhood, home movies taken by her father, her wedding gown, and countless dresses that made her the fashion icon that she was and still is today.

Throughout the exhibit visitors (consisting mainly of woman) could be heard expressing the same sentiments. Mainly sad and mournful sentiments such as: "Such a waste"; "She was so beautiful"; "She was soooo thin"; "Those poor children"; That asshole". And most bitterly and profoundly, uttered by my own mother "She was a lamb, waiting to be led to the slaughter".

These expressions of sadness and grief that strangers, my mother and her friend expressed got me thinking. Here was a woman who was London royalty and yet she touched so many lives throughout the world. Lives of people who were not at Leper colonies or victims of land mines. These were not her children nor the people of London. Just simple Americans who loved Diana because of the beautiful person that she was, both inside and out.

There was such hushed tones and a quiteness over the exhibit. A quiteness that was over and above the norm for a museum exhibit that it made me realize that my own reason for visitng was different than most. I wasn't there to mourn Diana or feel anger toward Prince Charles and Royal Family. Sure, my eyes welled up a few times, especially upon reading Charles Spencer's speech from her funeral and hearing Elton John's profoundly haunting "Candle In the Wind - England's Rose"; but throughout most of the tour, I was enchanted, not sadened.

I was there to see the wedding dress that I had seen 24 years ago as a 10 year old child. The wedding dress of a real, live princess. The wedding dress and wedding that I would fantasize about throughout my childhood and into adulthood...up to and including my current fantasies. This was the wedding dress and the wedding that I envisioned my own wedding one day to my very own prince. Of course, my prince would not have such large funny looking ears.

I was also there to see Diana's own childhood memoriabillia and fantasies. To see her family and how they lived before she became a princess. And of course how she flourished after the divorce from Prince Charles

And the dresses...ooohhh the dresses! By such designers as Chanel and Versace...made exclusivley for her! Did you know that there is a Princess Diana and Prince Charles paper doll book where you can change their clothes? And the Franklin Mint makes a Princess Diana doll with dresses and accessories that are purchased seperately! I shouldn't be so suprise...they also make Princess Grace and Jackie O!

I suppose everyone had their own reasons to visit the exhibit. Regardless of reason, it was definitely an experience...one that I shall hold close to my heart for many years to come.

TTFN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home